I gave my first attempt at a glasses case to my Mum. It was a mix of greens and browns, her favourite colours and she was upset because she lost it.
I decided to try another for her. I had some silk left from the sky on the lighthouse picture I made. It was printed at one end. I used some old curtain interlining and my embellishing machine to make a strip of needle felt. I wasn’t sure of how it would turn out, making it up as I went along.
Punching the fabrics together with the six needles on the machine distorts it into shapes I still can’t predict and as the printed end of the silk scrunched up, it suggested a tulip flower and leaf. I worked over the flower with several layers using tiny scraps of felt, a little pink wool top and some chiffon. I added wool worked in random lines, the fibres helping to keep the machine felt together. Finally, using some metallic thread, I machine stitched slightly curving lines to quilt the piece. I then made up a small bag, lined with linen fabric and finished with a diamante button.
It was a lucky combination of scraps and lack of knowledge with the needle felting to create something unexpected. I am really pleased with how it turned out – and so is my Mum!